Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Grateful, He's Faithful

YESTERDAY

Abby and I had a great conversation with three students at Moscow State. It lasted almost an hour and a half!

I've been praying over the last day or two that God would give me the opportunity to share the gospel this week. We've met a lot of students and had great conversations and fun, but I can't bring anything to them of value apart from the gospel.

Like I talked about in my last post, the implications are big time. If I truly believe that I have the best news ever brought to this world, then it's worth sharing! Not pushing it. Simply sharing it! And so I asked God repeatedly that the opportunity to speak about Jesus Christ would come up this week. I prayed that sometime this week I would be able to tell someone about His deity, about why it's relevant, and why anyone would care.

The door presented itself yesterday afternoon while Abby and I spoke to Michael, Alina, and Irina at MSU. We were talking about the differences between Texas, Oklahoma, and Moscow and church came up. Michael said he didn't believe because to him science precludes any belief in God.

"What do you think?" he asked us.

Abby delightfully responded about the freedom she finds in Christ's conquering of death, even when life continues to be difficult, and how amazing it is to be in relationship with such a loving God.

"And you?" he asked me.

I relayed how Christ's ability to bring me to God gives me hope, especially in His intimacy when brokenness seems to reign. I also got to say how my studying of science is enriched by faith!

He then turned to the subject music and what we liked to listen to.


But he asked!


God provided the opportunity, we took it, and left it at that! It's likely that we'll meet up again because they were really interested in exchanging more questions.

But that's the essence of doing ministry. We have an amazing love story that comes in the name of Jesus to quench the heart thirst of every human being. And so we try to create opportunities to tell that truth, and allow it to be heard!

What people do in response is not up to us. (That we leave that to God.)

Nothing happens unless God wills it though. We pray for opportunities and thank Him when they appear, trying to honor Him with each one.


TODAY

David and I spoke with a student named Andrew at our secondary school (MSU for Linguistics). They're always very interested and happy to converse with us, which is very encouraging!

Andrew told us a lot about the government, recent automotive technologies by a Russian oligarch, and the Russian Orthodox Church. As we dug deeper he began to tell us that he believes Russians suffer from greed and the lust of materialism.

(I haven't mentioned this, but everyday we see hundreds of American dream cars. In other words, cars that anyone in our circles would deem the top of the top luxury. BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, and Lexus are the chumps. Porsche Cayenne's are about as prevalent here as a nice mini van in the States.


Dont believe me?


On a good day we'll see a Maserati, Ferrari, Aston Martin or Dodge Viper. Just driving by. Yesterday walking at MSU a 15 year-old-looking boy pulled up his Ferrari, parked it in the middle of the street, got out with a popped collar, gave us a glare and then strutted away. Moscow is a RICH city. It's not just a large city with some wealthy people here and there. There is WEALTH. It's hard to imagine that so much money here, whereas the rest of the country must be struggling.)

Needless to say, we nodded to Andrew. He then continued that people should focus more on what life is really about, that which comes after life! David and I surprisingly asked more questions to discover that Andrew believes that heaven and hell are very real, and the only way to get to heaven is by the grace of God.

It was rich.

He really wanted to meet up to talk more. We setup an appointment tomorrow at 11am after one of his tests! It was really encouraging, probably the most encouraging conversation we've had thus far. Even more encouraging than yesterday!


All of this reminds me of a Shane and Shane song called "Over The Sun", where they respond to the book in the bible called Ecclesiastes. In Ecclesiastes, Solomon, one of the richest men to ever face the earth, comes to the end of his life only to discover the futility of most everything under the sun.

Apart from God that is.

Shane and Shane's song is written as a continuation of Solomon's voice, pleading with us to "get OVER the sun". Andrews plea toward those in Moscow to see what's really important reminded me of Shane and Shane's plea.

The Kingdom of God is at hand! His abundance of hope, peace, freedom and joy!!

Please pray:

For our appointments this week. I'm meeting with Max, Mark, Erik, Andrew, maybe Ilya and maybe Michael.
For their hearts, that we would have fruitful conversations, talking about the deep things of life.
That we would have the opportunity to share the freedom of the gospel MANY times.
That multiple students would see how the gospel truly is GOOD news and would experience it in a new, refreshing, and evident way.

Thankful for:

My extended family, parents and grandparents. I'm so thankful for you all. You have worked hard for years so that opportunities like this one would be available to me. I'm thankful that because of you all I am able to pursue the things that I believe are important, and that you even encourage me through it. You support me in my leadings so much sometimes it's near ridiculous, I don't deserve so much grace. Thank you. Thank you for the sacrifices you've made so that these students might hear.

My supporters. Its hard to believe that I even considered not coming on this trip. There is such a spiritual need here in Moscow. Your willingness to entrust us with your financial support is incredibly encouraging. Thank you. It's not only an honor, but I'm overwhelmed that I get to search for students and point them to the saving grace that comes through the gospel. Because of your generosity, we're here. Thank you for wanting to fill the need here. Thank you.

2 comments:

  1. Stephen,

    I am so proud of you and the Godly works you are doing in His name! I miss having you home, but it is obvious that your diligence and hard work there is truly paying off. I love you!

    -Spencer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post!!!

    I'm very-very glad that you enjoyed our conversation!)))
    And you desribe your every step in this blog) Russians haven't such a habit, but I like it!)

    -Michael

    ReplyDelete